The AA’s customer service programme was being facilitated in-house by their own subject-matter experts and managers. It was out of date and needed to be refreshed to incorporate their new brand values and concepts of customer service.
- To ensure that the programme for new and existing staff strongly reflected the AA’s strategic goal to deliver outstanding service to members and internal customers.
- To ensure that the internal training team were upskilled, to fully support and deliver the new programme.
Using our Designline process, we refreshed and redesigned Customer Service the AA Way.
Several site meetings, observations and key stakeholder meetings were held with many AA divisions to ensure we understood the customer service needs and challenges. There was a diverse range: roadside assistance operators working in the middle of stormy nights; call centre staff communicating via phone and email; network centre staff handling travel, insurance, licensing and motoring update requests.
We introduced new content and formats to align the programme to their needs.
A two-day “train the trainer” programme was also designed and delivered to two groups of AA employees responsible for the rollout of the new programme. They were introduced to new adult learning approaches as well as the new content for the programme.
The AA subject-matter experts commented on the thoroughness of our approach, and the new content and formats were welcome additions and improvements. The alignment to the AA values and strategy was strong and the activity-based learning approaches were relevant and effective.
Train the trainer
Comments from participants included:
- engaging, positive facilitator who kept the programme on track and interesting
- built a lot of confidence in my skills to deliver this programme
- it was a safe learning environment – with lots of interaction
- great engagement of the group – I have never felt as comfortable and engaged in any training course
- I really understand the value of preparing and knowing your subject.
“We have had a close working relationship with The Learning Wave for over two years now and I rate their services very highly. They are particularly strong in evaluating and interpreting business needs and delivering customised packages to suit.
The Learning Wave have designed a series of customer service-based learning programmes for our managers. Our key focus is to develop the capability of these managers so that they know how to best manage their teams to achieve greater performance and productivity results. During this period The Learning Wave have been instrumental in “connecting the dots”, between previous learning programmes and establishing next step programmes to ensure our staff deepen their understanding of how these newly developed skills can help improve the results they and the AA members experience.
Through my normal day-to-day contact with The Learning Wave I have met a number of their staff and senior management. In my opinion they are a go-ahead company and are recognised by the industry as one of the leading L&D companies.“
National Operations Support Manager