- On April 6, 2017
Ever feel like you can’t turn your brain off? Worried about how to stop worrying?
We all deal with this when life gets challenging.
Here’s a summary of how to stop worrying and start being mindful:
- You are not your thoughts. Sometimes they’re downright ridiculous. Just because you think it, doesn’t make it true.
- Observe, don’t judge. Acknowledge the thoughts, but let them float by. Don’t wrestle with them.
- Don’t distract, immerse. Do not check your email for the 400th time. Take in the world around you. Turn to your senses. That’s real.
- Your thoughts and the stories you tell yourself about the world aren’t.
- Note or label intrusive thoughts. Yeah, the thoughts fight back. Acknowledge them. Give the intrusive ones a funny name.
- Return to the senses. Really pay attention to the world around you.
Source: Barker, E(2016.) A Harvard professor reveals a strategy that can help you stop worrying. Extract and image retrieved 6 April 2017, from http://www.businessinsider.com/harvard-professor-reveals-a-strategy-that-can-help-you-stop-worrying-2016-2?IR=T